Removing Mold After Water Damage

Few disasters are more stressful than water damage in your home. There are so many things to take care of, like removing the water, drying everything out, and then replacing damaged materials. We at Restoration 1 of the Triad know it’s a pretty large task to properly restore your home after water damage, and on top of all of that, there is one scary and potentially health-threatening problem that has to be addressed when any form of water damage occurs – Mold.

Molds are fungi that thrive in warm, damp, dark, and humid conditions. There are many different species of mold, and they can be found both indoors and outdoors. The most dangerous form of indoor mold is Stachybotrys Chartarum or black mold. Black mold is called toxic mold because of the compounds it releases called mycotoxins. This type of mold is found in areas that stay damp, like air conditioning pipes and ducts. Other types of mold can be found in homes after any exposure to water, and if left untreated can become hazardous.

Mold found in homes can be very dangerous, not to mention a costly, problem. Mold reproduces by spores, which are best described as a type of “seed,” and are invisible to the naked eye. Mold spores can survive really dry conditions that do not typically support the growth of mold. This is what makes mold so dangerous because even after water damage has been dried and cleaned up, there can be unknown mold spores present just waiting for the right conditions to grow.

Mold spores need three things to grow: nutrients (food source), moisture, and time. Some food sources for indoor mold include wood, drywall, and even dust containing skin cells. The moisture for mold to grow indoors often comes from leaks or floods. With food and moisture present, mold growth can begin within 24 hours. This is why timing is so critical in mold remediation after water damage. With the proper equipment and prompt action, the growth of dangerous molds is significantly reduced.

So why is mold growth so serious? If mold spores are ingested or inhaled, they can cause a variety of dangerous symptoms in humans. Respiratory problems are the most common symptoms of mold exposure. Chronic coughing, sneezing, rashes, fatigue, headaches, and irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes of the nose and throat can all occur. Sinus infections, shortness of breath, and allergic reactions can also occur as a result of mold exposure. Since mold spores travel through the air, the air quality throughout the entire house (not just the area that received the water damage) is at risk.

Overwhelmed yet? Do not worry; there is a way to get rid of mold from your home.  You can try to do it on your own by using commercial products, such as soap and water, or even bleach to remove surface mold. But keep in mind these measures can be dangerous and are not guaranteed to remove all the unseen spores. The best way to tackle mold is to call the water damage restoration professionals.

Professional Water Damage Restoration – Winston Salem

The mold remediation & inspection team at Restoration 1 of the Triad hold certifications from the Indoor Air Quality Association. When you call us, we will test the air quality in your home to identify the most effective approach to the problem. We provide a complete range of HVAC inspection and cleaning services for home and business owners in the Restoration 1 of the Triad area. With the right equipment and proper training and experience, we can safely and adequately get rid of mold. We understand that timing is key in remediating water damage and mold growth, and that is why we offer a 24-hour emergency response. Don’t let the threat of mold overwhelm you when dealing with the stress of water damage, let Restoration 1 of the Triad help you get it taken care of right away.