Warning Signs From The Fire Damage Restoration Experts: Electrical Fires

fire damage restoration winston-salemMost house fires can be prevented. Since fires based on electrical malfunctions are so common, one of the best ways to fortify your home against a fire is to know what the warning signs of an electrical fire are. There are many different electrical warning signs to be on the lookout for.

Fire Damage Restoration In Restoration 1 of the Triad: 4 Signs of Possible Electrical Fires

Below are four of those most important signs to look out for according to our fire damage restoration experts at Restoration 1 of the Triad.

Your Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Your circuit breaker has one simple job: stop the flow of electricity to your home to prevent a circuit from overheating. Thus, circuit breakers play a key role in preventing electrical fires in your home. However, it is a mistake to blindly rely on them. Remember that the reason a circuit breaker trips is because circuits are overheating – a definite fire hazard if it isn’t for a working circuit breaker. There are three specific reasons why a circuit breaker may trip. First, your appliances are pulling too much energy from a single circuit. Second, there is a short circuit somewhere in an appliance or circuit wiring. Third, your circuit breaker has gone bad and is malfunctioning.

What Are The Warning Signs Of An Electrical Fire?

  •         A Charred Smell
  •         Discolored Outlets Or Switches
  •         Sparking
  •         Old, Outdated Wiring

A Charred Smell

Don’t dismiss a charred or burnt smell coming from inside your home. This can be an indication that your outlets, wires, or other electrical implements are overheating. Once you notice this smell, attempt to locate the source as soon as you can.

Discolored Outlets Or Switches

Loose connections or faulty wiring in your home lead to arcing and sparking. When this happens, a tiny fire or sparks occur that chars or discolors your outlet. Just know that having discolored outlets or switches is not normal and it’s a problem you should take care of immediately before you have to deal with costly fire damage restoration.


Sparking is never a good sign. How you deal with it depends on where it’s coming from. If a breaker panel, fuse box or outlet is sparking, get an electrician ASAP. But a sparking appliance may mean that the fixture itself is damaged, in which case you should call an appliance repair person.

Old, Outdated Wiring

Wiring only lasts for so long. Through use and wear and tear over time, they inevitably become unsafe and ineffective. If your wiring is older, you should inspect it more often since it is more likely to be damaged.

Now that you know these warning signs to look out for, you should know all you need to prevent electrical fires from occurring within your home. Nonetheless, should your home ever be damaged by a fire, whether it be from electrical malfunctions or other reasons, our team Restoration 1 of Restoration 1 of the Triad is here to help you through the fire damage restoration process. With our 24/7 fire damage restoration response services, we can be quickly out to you at any time of the day to help you and your home recover from the fire.